Re: [6pack] Frozen engine

To: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Frozen engine
From: grego@sandesco.com
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:14:50 -0700
Quoting "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>:

> stopped in a collision.  No damage to engine.  I have no idea how long
> it sat but there is still oil in the sump.  The intake and exhaust ports
> were left exposed but under cover (it was in Arizona so it was a dry
> heat).  My question is, can it be salvaged?

I assume from the subject that it is frozen.
First step is to pull the head and see if you can then rotate the crank.
If it is still stuck, then I soak the bore/rings with a penetrating oil
(chose your favorite) every day for a work week. Try it again the following
weekend. I use a mallet and piece of wood to gently work the pistons.
Just a little though, you want to be careful of the bores. At this point
I have usually removed the crank first. Hold on to the con rod so if the
piston slips out it doesn't crash to the floor.

Although the TR motor does resemble a tractor motor, the same techniques
don't exactly apply. You can put a lot of force on tractor motor parts
but a TR revs a lot higher with a bit tighter tolerances and is therefore
more sensitive to damage. I have seen some pretty brutal techniques
applied to stuck tractor motors. Done a few myself :)