RE: [6pack] brakes,

To: "J.RANDOLPH SANDNER" <drsandner@earthlink.net>, 6pack
Subject: RE: [6pack] brakes,
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 20:34:21 +0000
Randy, to remove the wheel cylinder you will need to disconnect the hydraulic
pipe, the handbrake cable and remove the three interlocking plates that retain
the brake cylinder. If you have done this 50 times recently and the whole area
is clean and rust free you might be able to do it by feel but my guess is you
are going to have to be able to see what you are doing to get the plates out.
I haven't done this for a while but I think the middle plate is flat (no tabs)
and when pushed out it leaves enough wiggle room to get the top and bottom
plates out. The plates are open ended and will slide out when tapped but you
have to be able to see it to figure out which way they were inserted and tap
them out the opposite way. Look for the end of the middle plate that is solid
and tap the other end gently using a thin tool like a small screwdriver until
you expose enough of the plate that you can pull it out. This should come off
without a fight, if the plates are not moving, figure out what you are doing
wrong before resorting to violence.

Stan