[6pack] rustproofing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] rustproofing
From: samuelsma@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:44:41 -0400
I have my '76 seemingly marooned permanently at the mechanic's awaiting
carburetor adjustments and some engine diagnostics.? Basically, my car is in
line behind a couple of others, but I hope to hear soon that work has started.

Anyway, the reason for this post is that I had the mechanic put the car on the
lift and we looked over the underside for any signs of rust.? I have been
concerned, as the car lives outside, under a canopy and always covered, but we
live near Biscayne Bay and I don't want to let salt air cause any corrosion.

The inspection showed the beginnings of surface rust on the floor pans and some
frame members.? Very faint, but this car had a frame-off restoration and lived
in a salt-free/winter-free environment for several more years.? I don't want to
allow any corrosion to begin.? The mechanic suggested using a wire brush on the
underside on any location with even minor corrosion, followed by a spray-on
undercoating process for the whole underside.? He has a reputation as a real
perfectionist in his vintage car work, so I'm not worried that he will cover up
rust with undercoating.

My question is whether undercoating is the right approach for one of these
cars.? My 6 has none right now.

Thanks!

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue