Re: [6pack] Shimmy at 50mph

To: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Shimmy at 50mph
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:30:52 -0800
        Sloan:

        A shimmy felt through the steering is normally tire balance or
worn shocks/suspension.

        When you have the tires balanced, be certain to have it done
with the trim rings ON the wheels. I had a shimmy that I could not get
rid of - wheels balanced, new shocks, bushings, wheel bearings, etc....
Turned out that one of the trim rings was out of balance enough to make
a difference. A LBC mechanic had seen it before and told me to have the
tires rebalanced with the trim rings on the wheels. VOILA! No more
shimmy. You can throw a tire weight any time, so the occurrence after
the U-joint work may just be a coincidence.
        Now if the vibration is coming through the body and weakens or
disappears when you let the car coast with the clutch depressed, then I
would say the U joint work is suspect.

        Vance