Re: [6pack] B Pillar Blues

To: Martin Romagni <mrdr3600@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] B Pillar Blues
From: forzion@maine.rr.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:45:45 -0500
Marty;

BTDT ! I, too, broke several drill bits on broken seat belt bolts at
the B-post. I tried heat (though not cherry red for fear of setting
something afire!), Vise Grips, impact tools, and lots of different
solvents. No dice. What finally worked was using a grinder to cut the
exposed bolt piece as short as possible, then getting a series of new
titanium-coated drill bits in diameters considerably smaller than the
bolt. I believe the seat belt bolts themselves are 7/16" dia. But the
drill bits I finally ended up starting with were 1/8" dia. After I
succeeded in drilling through (on center using a punch) with that, I
proceeded then to 3/16" dia., then 1/4, etc... After all the effort,
anything that worked was great! I believe my largest diameter drill bit
was 1/2". I then bought a 7/16 tap (can remember the pitch, offhand)
and tapped the holes out (had two bolts to drill out!) and all's now
well. Whew!

Good luck!

Dave
CF25194U+O+TBI