Re: [6pack] Diff Mounting Stud

To: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>,
Subject: Re: [6pack] Diff Mounting Stud
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:56:17 -0800
        Bob:

        The gold color of grade 8 is yellow zinc plating, which is
intended to give a small amount of corrosion protection without
affecting the underlying metallurgy (Some plating processes degrade the
strength of the substrate, e.g. chrome plating anything dramatically
degrades the strength of the substrate)
        Grade 8 stuff is heat treated, and so is much stronger and
welding would destroy the strength of the material. THEREFORE, the Moss
pins must simply be mild steel, as they are intended to be welded into
place. I would say that making your own is a safe bet. 1030 steel or
better would seem to be a good choice.

        Vance