Re: [6pack] Was 6PACK Topics - beacme bushings- Is now Speedo Cable

To: <trsix74@comcast.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Was 6PACK Topics - beacme bushings- Is now Speedo Cable
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:06:33 -0800
        trsix:

        I am sure you could swap just the inner core PROVIDED THAT the
outer sheath is intact and in good condition. This means no cracks or
splits on the outer sheath. Corrosion is deadly to the cables, and you
must keep water and grit out of the innards.
        When I have replaced cables it has been because the outer sheath
is split, rusting, etc. If yours is in good condition, a heavy motor oil
can be used to prelube, and then replace the inner works. Should work
fine.
        I suppose that if the old and new pieces were made by different
suppliers or to a slightly different spec (longer, shorter, bigger
diameter, etc) then all bets would be off. I can't say if the cables are
still made to the same specification or not - I have always just
replaced the entire cable. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

        Cheers,

        Vance