Re: [6pack] Cam timing

To: johncnorth@gmail.com (John North)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Cam timing
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:00:38 -0700
John---You are correct in which way to move the cam. I wouldn't
"advance" the timing too much tho. I'd say 4 deg. to be max without
compromising other features of the cam. (Personally, I'd set it as close
to '0" as I could get it without retarding the timing.)

Dick

 From:
johncnorth@gmail.com(John North)

Doing this for the first time, so forgive the basic question...   The
Goodparts instructions for the GP2 say to advance a few degrees for low
end torque, which is what I want to do.   I see how the sprocket can
be used to adjust half a tooth...

  Am I correct that "advance" the timing means moving the cam sprocket
so that the valves open earlier, which if my mental geometry is correct
means turning the cam a hair clockwise and hooking up with the offset
holes leading.
Any help appreciated.
John North