Re: [6pack] Ethanol gasoline blends

To: Joseph Grant <grant@bowtie6.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Ethanol gasoline blends
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:35:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Joseph Grant wrote:

>>>  will store the car with the leaded race fuel...
>
> Just a word of caution about leaded fuel:  if anyone has oxygen sensors
> hooked up (to run an air/fuel ratio meter or FI), you must take that into
> account. Oxygen sensors don't particularly like leaded fuel.

I appreciate the comment, however, we need to establish context here. I
would totally NOT recommend leaded racing fuel for a modern car with
computerized fuel management for that very reason.

Of course, I _thought_ we were talking about TR6's. Silly me and mea culpa
for the oversite.

:-)

It's also worth pointing out that there are other issues surrounding the
use of alternative fuels such as road taxes and stuff like that. Most are
probably moot when used for storing your car (which was the point I was
trying to make in the previous post).

> What about the diaphragms and the carb floats?  Ethanol is not very friendly
> towards rubber and/or plastic.  I realize that the 10% is very small, but
> this could, over time affect these parts.  Yes?

Carry spares. That's my solution. I've done roadside replacements of the
diaphragms in the past (usually after a backfire!). The floats thing is a
def. problem. There is some activity in other forums looking into making
replacement floats that are impervious to the current fuel "brew". We'll
see how this pans out.

I won't get on the soap box on the issue, but this particular part (carb
floats) is an area  where you don't want to go with parts based on price,
you want to go on functionality (and proper materials).

Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489