Re: [6pack] Crimping Bullet connectors

To: "shawn loseke" <shawn.loseke@gmail.com>, "Robert N. Clark"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Crimping Bullet connectors
From: "Robert McBride" <rmcbride@mi.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:21:44 -0500
The biggest problem is that the solder will wick part way down the wire
making a hard point where it stops.. When the wire vibrates like when in a
airplane it flexes at that point and will after time break right there....
I crimped only when building my plane no soldering.. But I don't think
vibration will be that much of a problem in a TR-6....  Bob M

What I recall, from several volleys from both sides of the argument, is that
the conditions for soldering need to be right. Some of the connectors
available don't take solder very well, if your wires have any oxidation (if
they are older) they won't take solder well either. The biggest mistake made
with crimping connectors is not using the correct tool, which makes all the
difference. I've had plenty of success with just crimping bullets, using the
right tool of course. Haven't had to solder yet, but if you feel you must,
or would just like to for your own piece of mind. Go for it.