Re: [6pack] Cooling/Oil Pressure Problem

To: shewfamily@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Cooling/Oil Pressure Problem
From: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 21:02:50 GMT
John---Any change, such as what you have witnessed, bears watching. It doesn't
sound critical tho. On the oil gauge, it looks like your pump had picked up
some air. This can happen when making a sudden change in up/downhill direction,
especially if the oil was not up to temperature when this was seen.  If this
becomes common, and a simple oil and filter change doesn't solve it, you may
want to drop the sump and remove the oil pump to clean the screen.

On the water temp + side of this, check the following:

a) Water pump pulley belt tension.

b) Remove the radiator cap and run the engine long enough to bring it up to
temp. Now with the thermostat open, check for air bubbles in the water return.
Run the engine long enough to purge any air. If the bubbles never stop, there
could be air getting in thru a blown head gasket, or??

c) Check ignition timing. Retarded timing can increase  engine temperatures,
which could explain both.

Dick