[6pack] negative battery cable

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] negative battery cable
From: davgil@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:26:43 -0500 (EST)
Non-TR6 related but an interesting anecdote about the importance of a proper
ground.  On our Piper Cherokee (a small single engine airplane) the ground was
not as robust as it needed to be and the throttle cable (metal cable housing
lined with teflon for smooth operation) became a default alternate ground.
The heat from this ground melted the teflon inside which cooled and restricted
the throttle movement.  Fortunately, one of my partners had just taken off,
realized that there was a problem and was able to return and land safely.
However, just a few minutes later, the throttle cable was completely locked
with consequences that could have been tragic.  Clearly, electricity is lazy
and will find the easiest path to ground.  Suffice it to say that I am a great
believer that you cannot have too robust a grounding path.
David Gill

6pack@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive