[6pack] DOT 5 leads to hydraulic component failures

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] DOT 5 leads to hydraulic component failures
From: "Jerry Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 18:08:23 -0500
This is probably old news, but I have just had two hydraulic component
failures using DOT 5. Now I understand from Leighton of British Car Parts
Northwest www.bpnorthwest.com that quote, b None of the cylinder
manufactures (Girling, TRW, AP, ATE) recommend or will warranty cylinders that
have been used with DOT 5. They state the cylinders are not designed for use
with DOT 5 fluid which will lead to failure. One reason is the DOT 5 fluid
does not have as high lubricity as the DOT 4 which will leave to pre-mature
seal failure.b

I hope that suppliers of DOT 5 have disclaimers. Ibve probably missed that
email.

Jerry