Re: [6pack] [TR] interesting find

To: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>, Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] [TR] interesting find
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:07:13 -0600
On 9/22/2014 1:54 PM, Bob Labuz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Was out for a walk today, too cold to ride a bike, and I found what I
> thought was an old coin that turned out to be a spark plug gap tool.
> About the size of a 1/2 dollar. Scale goes from .020 to .100 " and .5
> to 25.5 MM.
> Called the "Gapper".
>
> Looks like it will fit on a key chain and the hole for the chain is
> used to open the gap.

These were, not all that long ago, incredibly common (I've got two
different types somewhere in my toolbox, one with wire gauges around the
circumference, and one with a sliding ramp around the "coin," and there
was another circular type with little spades sticking out of different
thicknesses).  They've fallen out of favor with the now wide use of
platinum-coated plugs, since they can easily scratch through the very
thin coating of platinum on the center electrode, which causes the plug
to fail prematurely.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....