Re: [6pack] Sandblasting rust.

To: James_ <jattr6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Sandblasting rust.
From: Tom Lofgren <tom.lofgren@stanfordalumni.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:20:31 -0800
Cc: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Don't get the Harbor Freight one - they don't sell replacement nozzles.  I
got an inexpensive one at Sears, and they do have extra nozzles.

For areas that aren't visible body parts, you really don't have to worry
about heat.  I usually run at about 80PSI and that works well with rust.

Sandblasting with regular sand is generally a bad idea because of the free
silica. According to what I have read, even using a P100 rated mask isn't
good enough.   Harbor Freight sells aluminum oxide blast media, which costs
way more than sand, but doesn't have the free silica issue.  Worth the $40
in my opinion.  By the way, this media eats standard nozzles, as quickly as
in 30 minutes of blasting.  So get the extra nozzles when you buy the
blaster.

Make sure you cover up everything you can because the media gets
everywhere.  And try to prime as soon as you're done blasting, or you'll
get more rust pretty quickly and you can do it all over again.

Tom