Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer

To: COLIN THOM <colinthom@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer
From: Glenn Rattmann via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:43:07 -0700
Cc: 6pack@autox.team.net

--=====================_85358125==.ALT

List,
Al Salvatore suggested using 3M strip caulk.  Once armed with that
moniker it was easy to find reference to it on the 'net.  It is
3M-08578.  You body-repair guys on here know all about it.  You can
find it for sale on eBay and elsewhere for less money, but I wondered
about old stock shelf-life issue, plus I needed it 'right now' in
order to finish assembling the car for Triumphest.  So I bought a
carton of it in stock at my local NAPA store.  Note, it was not
available at local stores O'Reilly or AutoZone.

My result with it was excellent.  Thanks Al !

Colin and James-- Thanks for the inputs.  In my car at least, the
four mounting holes in the firewall for the 3/8 studs are
elongated.  They are not hacked-- It appears to be
factory-intent.  The elongations extend outside the block-spacer
line, so I was concerned that engine area fumes could ingress the
firewall in those spots.  So I decided to seal the spacer and add a
little extra to close the partially exposed holes.

--Glenn
74.5 X2, San Diego

At 11:48 AM 10/7/2015, you wrote:
>I don't use anything.
>
>Colin
>74-1/2
>

>----------
>Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 20:19:38 -0400
>From: alan salvatore <alansalvy@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer
>
>I use 3M strip caulk.
>
>Al
>
>On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Glenn Rattmann via 6pack <
>6pack@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> > I removed my original brake booster from my 74.5 and had it rebuilt.  The
> > factory had used a mostly-non-hardening material as a sealing gasket
> > between the spacer/firewall/booster.  The service manual doesn't specify
> > anything.
> >
> > What putty-like, rather non-hardening dark material is recommended?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Glenn 74.5
> >
>Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 10:42:23 -0700
>From: James_ <jattr6@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer
>
>I recently was looking into the same thing. I did find some material
>I believe is the same at my local auto store but I would have to buy
>a huge roll. I ended up making a cork gasket instead.

--=====================_85358125==.ALT

Al Salvatore suggested using 3M strip caulk.&nbsp; Once armed with that
moniker it was easy to find reference to it on the 'net.&nbsp; It is
3M-08578.&nbsp; You body-repair guys on here know all about it.&nbsp; You
can find it for sale on eBay and elsewhere for less money, but I wondered
about old stock shelf-life issue, plus I needed it 'right now' in order
to finish assembling the car for Triumphest.&nbsp; So I bought a carton
of it in stock at my local NAPA store.&nbsp; Note, it was not available
at local stores O'Reilly or AutoZone.<br><br>
My result with it was excellent.&nbsp; Thanks Al !<br><br>
Colin and James-- Thanks for the inputs.&nbsp; In my car at least, the
four mounting holes in the firewall for the 3/8 studs are
elongated.&nbsp; They are not hacked-- It appears to be
factory-intent.&nbsp; The elongations extend outside the block-spacer
line, so I was concerned that engine area fumes could ingress the
firewall in those spots.&nbsp; So I decided to seal the spacer and add a
little extra to close the partially exposed holes.<br><br>
--Glenn<br>
74.5 X2, San Diego <br><br>
At 11:48 AM 10/7/2015, you wrote:<br>
Colin<br>