Re: oil pressure/ RedLine oil

To: kregkallenberger@home.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil pressure/ RedLine oil
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 22:20:09 EDT
    RedLine full synthetic racing oil surprised me too.  A few years back, we
towed a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite from Seattle to the Sprite-Mini Challange
at Sears Point Raceway in Napa Country for the Thanksgiving race.
    Due to some machine shop screw-ups, we only had time at home to run the
engine long enough to break-in the camshaft: talk about deadlined!  It had
Havoline or another standard oil in it for the break-in period.
    When we took the car out for practice laps on the Friday before the event
at Sears, in spite of the weather being in the mid to high fourties and
windy, once the engine got hot the oil pressure dropped to an uncomfortable
low.  We were ready to pack it in and go home, but I changed the oil to
RedLine and sent the car out again.
    From that point on, the oil pressure ran right where it should have,
around 40 lbs at an idle and 70 at speed.  This Sprite had been seriously
modified, and the Stewards bumped the car into the next higher class: we
qualified second, and won the race.
Jim Leach   PTC  Seattle