Hagerty car insurance

To: mgs@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net, spridgets@auto.team.net,
Subject: Hagerty car insurance
From: Al Adams <aradams@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:54:34 -0500
I s*bscribe to all the the lists above (in digest form) and it seems
there's been recent discussion on most, if not all,  of these lists
regarding experiences with and questions about classic car insurers.  In
light of this, I wanted to relate my current situation with Hagerty's
classic car insurance.

I've had 3 of my cars (a TR6, AH3000, and Bugeye)  insured with
Hagerty's for about 3 years.  I've done everything they require - keep
my cars in locked garage, etc.,etc.    Last year my 30 year old son hit
a cow on the way home from getting the front end of my big Healey
inspected.  Claim was for about $1100 of which Hagerty paid about $700
after much ado.

This year they asked for proof of insurance on my regular use cars.  I
misunderstood their request and sent a copy of the policy on only one of
my regular use cars, a '91 Nissan pickup truck.  Within about a month,
they sent me a non-renewal notice saying they were opting not to renew
the policy for "underwriting reasons".  When I called to inquire as to
what exactly these reasons were, they told me their records indicated I
have three licensed drivers in my household (there are actually only
two, my wife and myself.  My youngest son married and moved away 8 years
ago) and only one car with a regular use policy.  I told them I had
evidently misunderstood their request for regular use vehicle policy
info, and would forward the info on my other two personally-owned
regular use vehicles, a 97 Buick  and a '77MGB right away, which I did.
All of these vehicles are covered by State Farm.

After not hearing anything from them since I sent the additional policy
info a while back, I called them yesterday to inquire as to whether or
not everything was okay and the "non-renewal" had been canceled.  Their
response was that after reviewing the new info they were still "not
comfortable" with renewing my policy because one of my regular use
vehicles was an old car - the '77MGB.   I told them I insured this car
as "regular use"  because my wife drives it on a daily basis, weather
permitting. When she's not driving the 'B, she uses her Buick.  The
pickup truck sits in the yard for occasional use when needed.  I have a
company car and the insurance is paid by the company for that car.

I was told by the customer service representative that the decision had
been made and there was nothing she could do.  I requested her to have
her supervisor call me back with further details as to why they intend
not to renew despite the fact I have done everything the asked and have
abided by their restrictions and requirements.  So far,  there has been
no further response from them.

If anything further develops, I'll keep you advised.

Thanks for listening.
Al Adams

'60 AH3000 BT7
'60 Bugeye