RE: Jack Brabham Conversions

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Jack Brabham Conversions
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 14:10:17 -0700

>Hello, this os our first classic  e-mail.
>We found you e-mail on an Alpine web site and  wondered if
>you could help.  My girlfriend and I recently bought a very sorry
>looking SIVa Alpine from a guy just around the corner (in Cheshire
>England).  The point is the car is a bit unusual, its got a 'Jack Brabham
>Conversions  Ltd.' plate on the bulkhead, and high back tip up (what look
>like period) seats,  and a letter 'S' stamped onto each of the strombergs.
>Do you know anyone who can shed any light on what  the conversion might
>have involved?    We read that Jack  Brabham was asked to develop a
>special tuning kit for series II  cars in 1961, but can't really find
>anything
>further  about it.  Hope you can help
>Andy & Fiona  <fi.andy@oakes48.freeserve.co.uk>

I think that those are probably NOT strombergs, but actually
SU carbs.

Brabham reportedly made a twin SU intake for the alum head alpine,
to which was fitted, "you guessed it" twin SUs, which were very well
understood in competition tuning.

If the carbs on the manifold are trully stroms, then bare in mind
that later stroms have the same bolt pattern as SUs where there
are 4 bolts mounting each carb, as opposed to the two bolt
mounting on Rootes equipped cars.

This information from the weber/SU/stromberg carb manual from haynes.

Jarrid Gross