Thermostat

To: John Stanco <jstanco@cordmeyer.com>
Subject: Thermostat
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:56:48 -0400
John,

I would soak the nuts with a good penetrating oil for a couple of days.
Liquid wrench is O.K., but there are better. I'm now trying the German made
"Wurth" penetrating oil, but haven't really had a really stuck bolt to know
how much better it is. Another product I've heard about is P B Blaster? but
I haven't been able to find it at my local auto parts store.

Everytime you pass by the nut in your garage, and it looks like it's dry,
apply more penetrating oil, and give it a light tap with a hammer. This
will loosen the debris, and allow the oil to penetrate deeper. Go slowly,
and be patient. You don't want to get that horrible feeling of the stud
twisting and shearing, because there will be no other choice but drilling
and tapping a new stud!

I had almost every suspension bolt seize when I was restoring a 30 year old
car, and this method worked well on all the bolts, and I luckily never had
to resort to heat. It is an option, but getting it focused on where my
bolts were was not easy.

Good luck!
Tom

Message text written by John Stanco
>I am trying to change the thermostat and ran into a major problem.  The PO
did not use never-seize on the threads of the two bolts that hold down the
coolant tank in front of the motor. (Series II 1600).  I tried with a 1/2
inch socket and felt I was at the point where the bolt was going to snap.
Is there anybody out there who has been through this before, who can offer
any help with this problem.  Heat always comes to mind, however, I want to
be careful of any damage this can cause.

Thanks,

John<