Woodley Report

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Woodley Report
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:20:16 -0700
Had a great time at the Woodley Park British Car show this weekend.  Great
turn out of Alpines and Tigers.  I didn't count exactly, something like 20
cars.  Lots of pointy fin 'pines too.   Weather was perfect.  I had some
lady and a man with a camera come up and "interview" me about my car for
some program.  I sort of suspected they were just having fun and not legit.
But, if someone sees a program with an elderly lady dressed in red talking
to a guy next to a Commodore Blue Alpine, that's me!

Jay Leno was there, twice.  Yep, came first in some hot race car built in
England with a Yamaha 5 valve engine.  Then he came back in a McLaren.  As
usual, he generated quite the crowds and was most personable.  He even let
a kid sit in the little race car.

Some of the other marques did not seem to have the turn out they've had in
the past.  MG's, Healeys and Jags seemed to be on the low end for their
usual (MGs were still there a plenty).  Triumphs, Land/Range Rovers, Lotus'
and Minis seemed to have their typical representation.

There was a very nice Singer "Le Mans".  Don't know much about the history.
The owner was very nice and said this was the 12th he had restored.   Many
of the early Singers seem to have a slightly odd proportion to them - not
the "perfection" of the MG TCs.  This one was closer and had some very nice
features.  Mike was no where to be seen with his red Singer.

I thought the best part was when I left, I drove out with a beautiful white
SII (with nice Nissan engine, tranny and rear end), and we stopped at the
same gas station.  It was quite a sight to see two brand new looking
Alpines getting gas.  Some people came up and pictures were taken.  I felt
like I was in a Rootes advertising promo movie clip!

Chris and Bruce, missed ya both.

Jay