Re: Hardtop Weatherstrip - Doorglass

To: LynnC7738@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hardtop Weatherstrip - Doorglass
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 05:56:03 -0700
LynnC7738@aol.com wrote:

> Ron
> I have a Series I original hardtop that I got from Tiger Tom some years ago
> and have not yet restored. Mine needs a little "bodywork"  and the local
> bodyshop tells me working with aluminum is a little different. Did you have
> any problems? I've gotten all the weatherstriping too  but since I haven't
> restored it don't know if they will work. My Robbins soft top doesn't fit
> over the side windows either. It leaves a gap of 3/4 inch or so.
> Lynn Cardwell
> Series I

Lynn:

The reason "working with aluminum is a little different" is that it is
very soft, especially on this hardtop, and it is bound to stretch if any
aggressive hammering is done. I would be careful to make sure whoever
does it has experience. I only have a few minor dents, but have had to
fabricate a replacement hold-down and tubing for the drivers-side bolt
into the door pillar. (Used steel tubing that slipped inside the lower
frame and pop-rivetted it in). I'm leaving the rest for whoever does the
eventual paint job.

I used some 2" wide peel and stick sponge tape to form a temporary
weatherstrip by sandwiching the vertical edge of the hardtop between two
layers. This might also work on your soft top.

Ron Tebo