Re: Alternator Wiring Change

To: humber_snipe@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Alternator Wiring Change
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:49:48 -0800
>Not for nothing, but if I'm going to go
>to the trouble of changing alternators, it's
>not going to be to put a 45A in where a 35A was!

I agree.  Unfortunately, I was limited by the space that my headers would
allow.  There simply was no other alternator that would fit.  I made sure
the headers fit on the head when it was off the car - even had the headers
adjusted slightly to make sure each tube lined up just right.  I knew that
there is some clearance issues with the stock Series I and II headers, but
I made the mistake of figuring I'd still fit.  I didn't realize that the
front tube was bent slightly inwards on the ones I have.  And, to make it a
worse problem, I didn't realize that it was that way until after I spent
$$$ to get them Jet Coated.  I should have gone for another fit once it was
all in the car, but blew it.

The reason these headers were especially important was because they were
larger than the stock SI and SII headers and in fact were the exact right
size for my Holbay larger exhaust ports.

So, if there is any lesson, it's less the wiring of the alternator, and
more of making sure it all fits before getting them coated!

Well, at least now it all fits.

Jay