Re: [Emma Alexandra]

To: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>,
Subject: Re: [Emma Alexandra]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 21 Feb 2001 20:50:23 EST
Marc,

I suggest you buy lottery tickets.... you have to be the luckiest guy I've
ever met.  The Triumph TR-7 has made it as one of the top ten lemons of all
time, even the British car magazines bemoan it.  The Triumph club seems to
accept them only grudgingly.  But, hey, you got the good one-everything
evidentally was put together right on your car.  100,000 miles without a
breakdown is in Japanese car quality territory!

I have to admit getting a smile over  "(never buy a new car without purchasing
the parts manual for it, and the service manual as well!)"-most people who buy
Japanese cars don't buy parts manuals or shop manuals.... they don't need
them.

Although I liked my daughter's TR-7 (we got it for free), it was well worn
when we got it so I cannot pass any judgement on it.  It did things like blow
a brake line (because it was rusted out-like much of the under carriage)-but
that was age, not the car's fault.  It was a fun car though.

Jan

Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:
At 04:10 PM 2/21/2001 -0600, jon wrote:

>I guess it kind of shows that I've never bought a NEW British car...........

I did.  I had one of the very first TR-7's here in the States.  A wonderful
car, and the service was pretty good, as the Service Manager was ex-Rolls.
(Though the single time HE worked on the car, he tightened the steering
rack so that it damned near killed me in rush-hour traffic, but, what the
hey!)

The TR-7 Parts Manual (never buy a new car without purchasing the parts
manual for it, and the service manual as well!) included all the European
non-Pollution Control parts, including those huge SU carbs.  Never ordered
a set, but I did think about it ...

The car performed magnificently.  I had it for 75,000 miles, then sold it
to one of my former soldiers, who put an additional 100,000 miles on it,
and then sold it in the newspaper.  The new owner had it a week and killed
himself by trying to drive it under a semi.  <sigh>  A sad end to a fine
vehicle.

I miss Emma Alexandra.  And her Lucas electrics were impeccable, other than
the distributor -- but they recalled the electronic ignition, and that
fixed the problem.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!