Ray Pickering and the Moss/Pickering Factory car

To: Sunbeam <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ray Pickering and the Moss/Pickering Factory car
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:02:49 +0000
I received a bunch of 1964 SCCA Sports Car Wheels today.
I was surprised to see that Ray Pickering had been racing the factory car.
He has an ad selling the car in the July, 1964.

"Moss-Pickering West Coast factory team car.  Prepared to latest rules with
all options, modified to limit but legal, never driven on street.  12:1
Compression (I think this was an SCCA rule), 7000 rpm red line." Then it
states, "Has taken 21 first and second trophies.  3 Thirds."
There is more to the ad which describes the options and details.

Ray Pickering, out of Kansas City, was racing this Sunbeam at Santa Barbara.
I had seen the movie (check link below) and thought that could have been a
factory car based on the color of the car but this confirms that it was the
factory car.

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/tam_redo_202.mov

I think this car ended up being sold to another Kansas City person since
in 65/66 a new name from Kansas shows up on the championship points list
driving an Alpine.  Just a guess.

Anyway, it is interesting to know there is a trail of history for this
car.  Could it still be lurking in Kansas?

Steve Silverstein