RE: Webers

To: "Brent Kasl" <kasl100@navix.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Webers
From: "Tom Hill" <tom.hill@att.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:37:10 -0500
Brent,

I have an original Holbay setup and the manifold requires modification to
work with the Alpine engine.  The Holbay setup is from the fastback style
cars and they have the engine canted over several degrees.  From what I have
been able to learn, the weber carbs can handle a 5 degree upward tilt.
Unfortunately the Holbay manifold on an upright Alpine engine creates a
downward tilt of several degrees.  The manifold can be cut and rewelded to
work with the Alpine.  I paid less than $200 to have the modification
performed.  In addition, the Holbay manifold is meant to be used with the
Holbay cylinder head.  The Holbay cylinder head has smaller intake ports so
the manifold will not "line up" with the Alpine head.  This can be solved
with a die grinder and a little time.  I have not yet fitted the setup to my
Alpine but the carbs are very close to the steering box, the diagonal brace,
and brake master cylinder.  The conversion can be done, but it is not a
straight forward bolt on.  In my opinion, unless your engine has been
modified with a bigger cam etc, you would be better off with the downdraft
weber setup instead of the sidedrafts.  BTW, I am not bidding on the ebay
stuff ;)

My 2 cents,

Tom Hill