Re: speedometer serial numbers

To: "robert nanzig" <rnanzig@webtv.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: speedometer serial numbers
From: "jon" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 10:09:05 -0500
I'm not sure of the actual meaning of the numbers, but I do know that they
are the numbers that define the ratio of the speedometer, in terms of
rotation of the cable relative to the speed shown on the face. With that
small a difference, there wouldn't be a noticeable change in the speed
readings for either speedo in it's original condition. Whether either or
both are still accurate is a different matter!

I had to have the speedos in my Funwagon and my Alpine recalibrated due to
final drive/transmission changes, and the rebuilder noted the new number on
the back of the speedo with a permanent marker. That way, if any future
repairs need to be made, the figure is available.

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA