Re: OD RElay

To: Brent Kasl <kasl100@navix.net>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OD RElay
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:33:52 -0700
Brent,

You have to know what type OD you have to get the right relay.  There are
two types and VB does not have the later one - and they'll never know the
difference to tell you that.

There were two types of OD operations on Alpines.  The earlier style was an
"on/off" switch.  The later ones have the "self cancelling" type.  The
earlier on/off works just like that, click the OD lever one way, it stays
there and the OD is on.  Click it the other way and it stays there and the
OD is off.  The self cancelling lever does not stay anywhere but the
center.  You push it one way, it turns on the OD, but it springs back to
center.  To turn off the OD, you push it the other way, and it springs back
to center.  The key difference is that with the self-cancelling style, if
you shift out of 3rd or 4th while in OD, it will automatically turn off the
OD, and when you go back into 3rd or 4th, the OD will not be on again until
you spring on the OD lever switch.

The relay for the earlier on/off OD switch is the simple headlight style
relay, and VB would probably have that one.  The relay for the self
cancelling OD switch is not readily available.  Atleast, it was not readily
available when I was looking a few years ago.  I did finally locate a used
one that seems ok for now.  That said, I'm pretty sure that an old SAOC
Horn had an article on how to take two standard relays and wire them up to
do the same thing as the self cancelling ones.  Maybe someone can find the
article or explain how to do it.

Jay