Australian National Rally

To: "Alpine List" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Australian National Rally
From: "Russell & Neola" <rmaddock@petrie.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:24:05 +1000
I've uploaded some images from the event at
http://www.qld.sunbeam.org.au/national/images.htm

Turned out to be a great weekend. We had beautiful weather - it was
unusually warm for this time of year, since it's winter in the southern
hemisphere.

The organisers seemed happy with the turnout. I was a bit disappointed
myself. There was a strong showing from the locals but I thought the numbers
from further afield were down on previous years.

The mix of cars wasn't as good as past years either. I counted 4 "Series"
Rapiers and 2 fastback Rapiers. The only Sunbeam-Talbot was a 2 litre. No
"Mark" Alpines at all, and no pre-war models. There was my Imp and 1 Sunbeam
Lotus. The rest of the field was made up of Alpines and Tigers, with Alpines
dominating of course.

I drove my 1969 Imp Sport and I loaned my Series III Alpine to my mate Clyde
Northcott whose Alpines are both off the road.

The concours was held in a very busy park so we had lots of passersby. Many
members of the public were asking questions about the cars so hopefully it
helped to boost the marque's image a bit. Other members of the public were
simply bizarre. There was an elderly gent wearing what appeared to be his
pyjamas riding up and down past the cars on one of those scooters that kids
are mad keen on these days shouting out "tigahhhhh, tigahhhhh". Hmmm, yes,
well.....

Now I've got to say I've had my illusions about Tigers shattered. I had been
led to believe they were fast. Every time I was stuck behind one in my Imp
over the weekend I couldn't get the Imp out of second gear. Hmmm, methinks
it's time for some of these Tiger people to trade in on a white Volvo and a
natty hat. ;-)

Next year's event will be somewhere in South Australia, but I haven't yet
heard the exact location.

Russ Maddock