clutch mc rebuild questions

To: "Sunbeam Alpines" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch mc rebuild questions
From: "Patrick" <pLaske@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 22:03:16 -0500
Three questions:

1. A while back someone wrote me that they will rebuild clutch cylinders
including shot blasting.  I'm sorry I lost the note.  Who on the list does
this work?

2. On the shaft of the main cylinder that connects to the clutch pedal,
there is a little plate that the pedal return spring rests against.  This
plate has a notch in it so that it can be put on the shaft while the shaft
is connected to the cylinder.  On the cylinder I have taken off the car,
there is also a short sleeve (1/2" long, maybe) that goes around the shaft
and the spring plate rests against the sleeve.  The sleeve does not look
like it can get on the shaft after the shaft is connected to the cylinder.
Any new/rebuilt cylinder I've seen does not have this sleeve.  Is anyone
familiar with getting this sleeve on?

3.  So far, I have two suggestions for a line that goes between the master
and slave clutch cylinders.  One is a copper 1/4" tube.  The other is a
steel tube but smaller diameter (haven't measured but it's quite a bit
smaller).  The tube I've removed is steel and about a 1/4".  I've been told
by a couple of sources that using a copper tube is not safe.  Will using the
smaller steel tube affect the feel of the clutch?

Thanks to all listers for any answers.
Patrick