Having problems with my Rear End

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Having problems with my Rear End
From: CANISDOG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:52:17 EDT
List,
I have disassembled my rear end to powder coat and put new seals in.  A
couple of things:
First, I didn't find any of the ring gear bolts loose as I had thought I
would.  Should I still change these?  With the differential out of the
pumpkin, is there any way to identify these gears as to the ratio and or
year?  I believe this diff. may have been changed at one time due to the
"yellow" paint markings on it.  The only reason I need to know is to get the
right pinion seal from Rick.  I guess I can just pull it out and get some #'s
off of it.
Rick lists two (2) thickness' of gaskets for the end of the axle housing and
says "6 per car."  My question is what the difference?  I called Rick and
asked this question and got the smart-ass answer of  "about .004  thousands."
 This didn't do me any good so I acted like the stupid Sunbeam consumer I am
and ordered 6 of each to cover myself.  This kind of reminds me of Tina
Turner when she said "hit me again Ike, and this time put some stank on it!"
I then pressed Rick after giving my Visa # and got a more technical answer,
"one is brown and the other blue, you should have noticed what color you
had."  After thinking about it, I think mine were grease colored.
I quickly hung up the phone and drove like a bat to the machine shop that was
"tanking" the housing.  I ran through the door screaming "Pull my pumpkin,
pull my pumpkin."  The owner sent a couple of shaved head, lifetime "Gold's
Gym" members out from the back to take me for a ride.  I quickly explained
the situation and they were quick to point out my parts.  They were sitting
in a corner and had been tanked the day before, not a flake of gasket to be
seen.
So.  What is the story on these?  Is there something I need to "mic" when
installing the axles?  If I miss this gasket by .004 my car will flip over at
60 mph and grind my face off!  What's the deal!

Thanks
Paul
Colorado
( the stupid Sunbeam consumer)