Re: [Rootes Question (Minx not Alpine)]

To: apmcgregor <apmcgregor@home.com>,
Subject: Re: [Rootes Question (Minx not Alpine)]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 13 Jul 2001 15:36:11 EDT
Rust.....

In rockers

At rear of front fenders (particularly at top!)

Behind rear wheels

All of the usual places.  The same people who did the body design work on the
Alpine did the Minx so they tend to rust in the same places!  Also check the
rear floors.  Lift up mats/carpet and of course the trunk floor. Worst spot is
the rear edge of the front fenders though.  I have owned cars that no rust
anywhere else but both front fenders were totally rusted out at the rears.

Engine is Alpine engine with one carb-runs a little smoother and quieter but
less power.  Almost everyone has timing chain rattle.  If you are looking at a
1959, it has the WORST gear ratios of any Rootes car- you have essentially a 3
speed transmission with two first gears.  The '57 and 58 models are a little
better but they have 4.78 rear ends... and you thought a 4.22 was bad!

If you are looking at an early fifties model... they really did not rust as
bad.  For some odd reason, they rust on the ROOF!!!  If you are looking at a
flathead version (1949-54), they have a 5.22:1 rear axle (that ain't no typo!)
and bring a whole new meaning to slow. That's OK though because their handling
isn't even up to their 60-65 MPH top speed.  I sold my '51 because it was just
too slow-couldn't even drive it on local roads because 40-45 feels like you
are flying.

Jan Eyerman

P.S.  The Series I is my favorite Alpine roadster (that's probably because it
was the first Alpine I owned)

apmcgregor <apmcgregor@home.com> wrote:
I'm going out tonight to look at a Hillman Minx.  I know it isn't an
Alpine but I think a few people on the list have them.

Is there a Hillman list?

Where should I look for rust and other body problems?

Anthing I want to beware of?

Thanks in advance.

Al

Alpine S1  B9006487