RE: 5-Speed Conversions

To: "Thomas Wiencek" <wiencek@anl.gov>,
Subject: RE: 5-Speed Conversions
From: "Paul and Susan Almjeld" <palmjeld@home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:16:35 -0500
Hi all:  As one of the few (maybe the only??) who has actually installed a
Toyota 5 speed into my Alpine, I figure I can share a few thoughts.

Certainly one of the driving forces behind using the Toyota 5 speed was the
fact that the tranny is so widely available.  They are relatively easy to
locate in salvage yards and they continue to be reasonably priced.  A second
consideration is the fact that their wide use and availability also helps to
insure easy access to parts if repairs are needed.  Third, the conversion
kit from Conversion Components has already been engineered - it's available,
the cost is reasonable, and the kit is all inclusive.  It even includes the
speedo cable to be able to hook the tranny to the Alpine speedo!

Drawbacks? Yep, as outlined below by Tom.  It does require some minor tunnel
modification.

I have not been put off or annoyed by the ratios as they exist in my
particular 5 speed.  You can check the ratios by visiting the following
link. http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/paradise/ratios.html

As I indicated in the article I wrote last year it was a project well worth
the time, money and effort.

Paul