The dreaded fuel "T"

To: "(unknown)" <ALPINES@autox.team.net>
Subject: The dreaded fuel "T"
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:46:15 -0400
Hello All,

I was driving my Series V when I noticed the smell of fuel wafting about. I
checked under the hood, and the soft fuel line leading to the carbs was
wet. The heat from the exhaust manifolds tends to cause the rubber to
deteriorate, so a new piece of rubber was needed, but apon closer
inspection, a hairline crack can be seen forming on plastic T that goes
between the two carbs. This is the second "T" I will replace, and am
beginning to think it's a design flaw. I would love to replace everything
with hard lines, and eliminate any leaks, but was wondering if anyone has
done this? Will the steel lines cause vapor lock because of it's proximity
to the exhaust? I vagley remember hearing someone had solution, but can't
remember the details. Are the short steel fuel lines that go to each carb
cast into the carb bodies? Aeroquip fittings was suggested, but I can't
stand the way it would look in an Alpine engine compartment!

TIA
Tom