Re: [It Lives...BIG MOTOR Update...Rootes Racing Report]

To: MrZAG57@aol.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [It Lives...BIG MOTOR Update...Rootes Racing Report]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 31 Jul 2001 09:46:56 EDT
TERRIFIC!!!  Many congratulations.  Keep up the great work of flying the
Alpine/Sunbeam/Rootes banner.  Looking forward to your build sheet-pictures
would be great too!

Jan Eyerman (cheering in the stands-from a long way off)

MrZAG57@aol.com wrote:
It all came together last week and I raced it yesterday. This is the 2 liter
Alpine engine I have been telling you all about from time to time. ( Actually

1965cc, but whose counting.)

The event was at Blackhawk Farms Raceway near Rockton, Illinois. ( I looked
for you Gary, sorry I didn't call. ) I took it easy during the practice and
qualifying sessions as it was a very HOT day and I didn't want to cook it
first time out.

I can hardly wait until I have a couple of hours on the motor. The car is a
relative bullet to what it has been with the 1600 engine. On the main
straight away I could pull 5200 before having to break. The new motor was
pulling 6200 and I wasn't even trying. I did run it up to 7000 rpms a couple
of times but I want this thing to last so I am trying to wait until it has
some time on it. The bottom end should be good for 8000 rpms reliably. Valve
train will be the limiting factor.

I easily blew the MGBs away, ran ahead of the BMW 2002s and ran right behind
a 2.0 liter Porsche 914. Once it's broke in I expect to run in the very low
1:30s at BFR. Best time yesterday was a 1:33:559.

Thought I would let you know that all the mad scientist crap has paid off. I
hope to post a build sheet soon.

Oh...( I own a Tiger, so don't start sending me hate mail) for those of us
who feel snubbed as Alpine Racers, I ran away from a 65 Tiger. Don't know
what his problem in the corners was as he could pull away from me on the
straights, but once I got past him I just went and hid. And Yes, he snubbed
me. That's OK .... I ran ahead of him.
ZAG