Re: [Re: Lotus Sunbeam]

To: "Eric Gibeaut" <sunbeams@sc.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Lotus Sunbeam]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 12 Nov 2001 20:05:41 EST
In 1971-72 the Hillman Avenger (Plymouth Cricket) was the top rally car in the
World at that time, the Sunbeam-Lotus did it again in  the 1980-81 era.  These
were very hot cars and were blowing the doors off BMW's, Hondas, etc around
the world.

Of course "Rootes" was long gone.... they were now "Chrysler UK"

Jan Eyerman
1959 Hillman Minx Series III DeLuxe
1973 Hillman Avenger DL (with a single carb 1500cc engine and an automatic it
is unlikely to blow the doors off anything!)

"Eric Gibeaut" <sunbeams@sc.rr.com> wrote:
At the 1999 Rootes Millennium Rally at Blenheim Palace, England, Jim
D'Amelio and I were admiring a Lotus Sunbeam which was in a row of about 6
others.  The owner came up to us and after we told him how much we admired
the car, he answering a few of our questions and then he took us for a
spirited drive around a few roundabouts and some local roads.  The power
that car has is amazing!  It would give my Tiger a good run I am sure-and
would out-handle it as well.  I would like to have one!
Eric