Re: Off topic - 110V electrical help

To: Paul Heuer <paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off topic - 110V electrical help
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:43:05 -0800
Paul,

The US outlets are set up with two power pins and a ground pin.  As I am
looking at an outlet, there is the left pin (slightly wider) which is
neutral (white wire), the right pin (less wide) which is hot (black wire
typically, although could be red wire).  Beneath these two pins and
centered between them is the ground pin ( green wire).  I am not sure if
there is a convention about which side should be up - the two hot/neutral
pins, or the ground pin.  I recall a construction friend saying that code
required that the ground pin be up.

Hope this helps.

-Roger