SAOCA

To: Sunbeam <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: SAOCA
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:09:13 -0400
I hope that Alpine owners will support Ian and his efforts.  I lived in the
Southwest before moving to New England and there was huge void in
opportunities for Alpine owners.  My only connection was the internet.
Perhaps times have changed around Dallas but I really was on my own.

I support TE/AE, now that I live on the East Coast, and will continue but I
also want to see a club which focuses on the Alpine (and the many 4 cylinder
cars of the Rootes Group) - more importantly an owners club that reaches
across America and has chapters within the natonal organization...

The Alpine has VERY limited visibility in the other British Car groups -
well it is limited just about anywhere, the track and general public.  The
only way the Alpine will establish itself as a collector's car is to have a
strong enthusiastic club base.

The perception of the Rootes vehicles can be summed up by Keith Martin
recently in "The Market Place", Autoweek, where he referred to the Alpine as
a convertible with a pathetic 4 cylinder.  There is such an under
appreciation for the car, even within the U.S. Sunbeam clubs, that sometimes
I am just stunned.

More importantly, we need to build a network of knowledgeable enthusiast who
love there cars an have others who have the same interest.  Communication
and activities at the local level are key.

I am on the board of directors for the local New England Alfa Romeo Owners
Association, a chapter within the national AROC organization.  Even though
Alfa pulled out of the US 6 years ago we are actually gaining members.  We
hold many events and the club communicates very well - Nationally and
locally.  If you want a strong national group your local chapters have to be
the backbone.  Communication is the key.

Please check out our local New England Chapter's website and newsletters
(available as downloadable PDF's).

http://www.velocissima.com/

It would be good if ALL Sunbeam club officers in the U.S. studied these
other clubs to understand what is bringing in new members and what is
creating membership which contributes by participating in club as a whole.

What I am trying to say is, we all need to step up to the plate support Ian
and find other Sunbeam owners and get them involved.  It does not mean we
have to give up our affiliations with other Sunbeam clubs which may be more
established, there is a lot of opportunity for growth for everybody.

I personally feel that if we want to see the Alpine move into the realm of
the Healy, MG, and Triumph organization we need to move forward with SAOC.

Steven Silverstein