Re: Sandblasting considerations

To: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting considerations
From: Victor Hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:25:02 +1100
Jan and Ian

Thank you both for your responses.  I guess we have had different
experiences with blasting.  This may partly be because I live in a much
drier climate (Canberra is 100 miles from the coast, gets under 30 inches of
rain a year, and is not cold enough to have salt used on roads) and neither
of the cars I had blasted were seriously affected by rust - in fact the BMW
had none and after 30 years the Alpine just had a small amount of tinworm
damage in the outer sill (rocker) panels and the lower part of the rear
'guards. Inside the doors, for example, even at the bottom, there was only
very minor, very superficial evidence of rust.  Maybe I got lucky with the
blaster too because he was able to get to shiny silver metal without panel
warping.  I think I'll dig out the restoration photos of the Alpine and send
them if you're interested.  There certainly was some media left in the
Alpine but we seemed to get most of it out with some careful vacuum cleaning
- the refinisher didn't seem to have any painting dramas.

Cheers

Vic