Re: Sandblasting

To: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 06:25:54 -0700
Jan:

I think Gary (and many others) are not "stupid amateurs". Here in
Alberta (environmentally oriented to big oil and big agriculture, like
Texas), and I suspect, in many areas in the States, outdoor blasting on
large objects is still permitted, and I can go to a local store and buy
silica sand and small pots for outdoor blasting. I can also truck or
trailer large parts to one of several commercial blasting operations
within city limits and do outdoor silica blasting myself (they provide
only the hood and earplugs) for $30-35 US per hour. They are usually
very busy, but I suspect you are correct, in saying you might be sued if
you did blasting in your driveway.

Coal slag (Black Beauty) is much less efficient than specular hematite,
a type of iron oxide that is the only blast media shown in recent
U.S.NIOSH studies to produce minimal health effects on rats. It costs
more but works so efficiently it ends up being cheaper and produces very
little dust.See http://www.sandblaster.com/crystalgrit.htm

I am no expert and have little experience, but recently built a
bead-blasting cabinet for a school shop, and had to do some abrasive blasting
research. I came to the conclusion that abrasive blasting of any sort is
not very healthy, and my method of choice would be that recommended
previously by you and Ian (and lately, by J.Laifman). How about the
razor blade or chip method with proper environmental disposal of the paint?

Ron Tebo