Re: Merry Christmas

To: <servaij@cris.com>, "Ian Spencer" <ian@sunbeamalpine.org>
Subject: Re: Merry Christmas
From: "Jon. Arzt" <humbersnipe@home.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 12:13:06 -0600
They were a short-lived accessory. For a fairly short period, the British
road laws required a light be shown on any car parked on the street, with
the light positioned on the side facing the street. That's why most of those
lights are designed to hang on a window - easily transferred to the other
side when needed.

As far as I know, the Germans still require that. My 1982 Mercedes 300TD has
this feature built into the headlight switch. There are 5 positions - from
left to right: far left, is the left side parking lights, next the right
side, center is all off, next is side lights (or what we Americans call
parking lights), and then the headlights. That switch was used well into the
90s.

And, of course, a Happy Christmas to all!

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA