Re: overdrive electronics

To: LOsoccer@aol.com
Subject: Re: overdrive electronics
From: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:24:03 +0000
David,

On a series 3, the switch should push to operate the OD and then return
to the centre position. Over drive should then engage, you will feel the
car appear to change up a gear and the engine revs drop. - you need to
be in third or top.

If you move the switch the other way, the OD will dis-engage and, this
can be a little jerky and is better if you can give it a little gas to
let the engine speed up.

Alternatively, if you are in 3rd/4th and change into 2nd the OD should
automatically dis-engage. If it does not you need to adjust the cut out
switch on top of the gearbox or the OD can be damaged.

regards

Jeff

the text from the drivers manual:

Over drive switch (if fitted)

the overdrive unit is controlled by a manually operated switch on the
steering column and by a switch on the gearbox top cover. The switch in
the gearbox is automatically operated when either 3rd or 4th gear is
selected so that the over-drive can be engaged only when the gear lever
is in either of those gears.

To engage or disengage the over-drive when the gear lever is in either
top or 3rd gear, move the manual switch in the appropriate direction.
the switch is of the self cancelling type, which means that, when the
overdrive or direct drive is selected, the switch will return to the off
position.

It is not necessary to move the clutch pedal when making these changes,
which should be carried out with the accelerator pedal depressed.

It is generally advisable to disengage overdrive switch before changing
from third to second gear, as this will ensure that the transmission is
not subjected to heavy loads due to by-passing direct third gear.

In the Unlikely event of the overdrive failing to disengage, reverse
gear must on no account be used.

In message <104.f5fbaf2.29752031@aol.com>, LOsoccer@aol.com writes

--
Jeff Howarth