Re: Sebring Alpine in New Jersey... 1965

To: "Sankus, Jeffrey H (Jeffrey)" <jhs@agere.com>
Subject: Re: Sebring Alpine in New Jersey... 1965
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:49:00 -0500
Jeff,

Yes, the panels were aluminum. Just the doors, trunk, hood.

The serial number is the BIG question. I have the serial number off
the Proctor/Harper car thanks to Andrew Martin but no telling what the other
cars would be.

So far this week alone:

1) Located Fred Barrette (co-drove the Alpine in 61 and 62 at Sebring)
2) Figured out there was a forth Alpine at the 61' Sebring which WAS factory
prepared. This car probably stayed in the US.
3) "May" have found Len Amato in Flordia - Len owned the East Coast Sebring
car (from an ad in SCCA Wheel June 1963.... most likely the Payne/Sheppard
car).
4) Finially was told that the "Factory" Car which we found before Christmas
is a Series III.  This means it has to be Jim Latimer's car or the #80
Daytona car (most likely).   There is a chance these two cars are in fact
the same.  As I talked to Suzy Dietrich about her race at the 66 Daytona she
mentioned her mechanics were from Detriot.... Jim Latimer's home town....
5) Found more history on the Moss/Pickering car - it appears that it was
still racing in Lawrence, KS in
1968... the driver was Stephan Blake.

Lots of action.

Steve... still looking