Hardtop Disassembly

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Hardtop Disassembly
From: schristie@mail.usfli.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:27:50 -0600
Alpiners - I've spent two nights carefully taking apart my hardtop in
preparation for dipping. Everything went fairly smooth, with only minor
stops to soak certain screws in WD40. Some of the trim is held on by rivets
which I carefully drilled out.
Is there a better way to remove these?

The headliner came out easily, taking care to keep the bows in order for
later assembly. The piece of sound deadening material which looks like an
old horse blanket came out fine, with chunky pieces of a tar-like substance
attached.

However, I'm stumped on removing the drip rails on either side of the
hardtop. Do they simply slip off the channel?

My hopes for a rust-free hardtop were dashed upon discovering loads of
filler and fiberglass in each corner. When the hardtop comes back from the
dippers I suspect there will be no corners!

It's too late to ask for tips, but if anyone has any for future reference
it would be much appreciated.

Scott Christie