Re: 1950s 4 place Sunbeam Alpine drophead--info sought

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1950s 4 place Sunbeam Alpine drophead--info sought
From: "Peter Chadbund" <peter@thecopshop.plus.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:35:56 +0100
Joe

Do you mean the hoods or the cars?

It was actually a 3-position hood - open, closed and coupe-de-ville (open
over the front seats only) on the Sunbeam 80 and 90. I'm not sure if the
Alpine had the middle position - it would be somewhat irrelevant without
back seats!!

I've got a pile of parts which is supposed to re-assemble to a 1956 Sunbeam
90 Series III convertible but the body is as rotten as hell. There are quite
a few of these about - prices seemed to peak at around #15,000 a few years
ago for condition 1, but are around half that now. A decent Alpine of the
period is much more scarce and probably around twice the price. Of course,
this is all in the UK - I can't say about the US!!

Most of the sites I have bookmarked that referred to the 50s Sunbeams seem
to have died. There are some pix at http://www.sunbeam.org.au/

Cheers

Pete Chadbund
www.thecopshop.co.uk