Re: Engine Question

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Question
From: ellis838@concentric.net
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 00:50:51 -0400
 O.K.
     Well.... I say Bodge it, would not put a lot of cash in the engine.
Did it run, was the oil pressure good, got extra time on your hands? I
see four levels of bodge possible here... Level one bolt your better
head on it and go. Level two, pull a rod and main cap or two and look at
the bearings, convince yourself they are OK and put it back together
torque all the rods and mains add new gaskets plus level one bodge and
go. Level three pull all the rod and main caps clean and plastigauge
convince yourself they are OK  or add new bearings plus level one and
two and go. Level four the ultimate bodge, pull the pistons ball hone
apply lots of carb cleaner, lube re-ring plus all the previous levels.
 A level four Bodge on a previously running engine could give you many
miles of  trouble free driving provided the ring lands are not to sloppy
and the crank journals are not on the end, the lobes are not worn off
the cam and you are good. Clean clean clean and plenty of oil when you
assemble. I would also try and determine what size piston you have
[might have +XX stamped in the top] and if you can get rings before you
take it apart. The flat tops in the later engines would give you  around
10 to 1 more or less, so you may want to open up the combustion chamber
a bit to drop the compression, especially for a bodge re-build.  Jim
 [bet I will get it for this one]