Re: Manifold temperature

To: Bill Blue <dablue@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Manifold temperature
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 09:50:39 -0700
HI Bill,

Yeah, I had not considered the airflow over the manifold.  This
engine was in a closed room with no air flow.

The dyno run that I watched was in 1978 or 1979.  I probably
was not real clear in what I wrote.  The dyno run was for a bunch
of guys who were attending a lecture on turbocharging.  The dyno
operator was using a stock Ford 4 cylinder turbo'd mule engine
as a demonstration on a dyno run that lasted maybe 10 minutes.
The engine was not run to maximum hp or torque.  When the manifold
began to glow red at what I thought was a low hp out (50 to 60 hp)
the comments that followed included the statement that a steady
state ouput of this level for several minutes continuously is pretty
respectable.  I don't rember the rated output of the 4 cylinder turbo
in 1978, but I am pretty sure it was a lot lower than the 200 hp.
 It might matter that these guys were mostly developing turbo
setups for long continous running applications and were less interested
in the ability to produce short duration high output.

-Roger