Re: [Click....nothing....d**n]

To: <robert.m.bailey@att.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Click....nothing....d**n]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 22:07:20 -0400
It is possible that the starter gear is jammed in the ring gear-not uncommon
with Lucas starters.  Put the car in gear and push it a little or use the
"starting handle"(crank) and then try the starter.  If it works, then your
problem was the starter pinion jammed in the ring gear.  Future solution?
Keep the starter handle handy or, at great expense and effort, replace the old
Lucas starter with that new $250 gear driven starter or use a starter from a
1969 Arrow or Alpine GT.

Jan Eyerman

robert.m.bailey@att.net wrote:
I have a problem which I hope y'all can help with.  I
replaced the starter in my Alpine a few months back. It
is tough to do because you have to remove the exhaust
header to get it out.  Got it in an all was well.

A few weeks ago I was filling up with gas. Started up
and moved over to the air pump and shut it down. Check
the tires and turn the key.  Nothing.  A good solid
click of the solenoid and that is all.  I check the
connection. It seemed to be threaded and was hard to get
snug but I did. (The starter came with a brass stud and
a steel nut on it. Not surprised it stripped.) Again,
Click, nothing.  Finally my Father pushed started the
car with his and it cranked up.   Took it to the house
and shut it down then it started right up.  No problem
for weeks.

The other day I pulled in on Thursday night and all was
well. It was raining and I was using the lights and
wipers for the first time in weeks. The next day I got
in to go to work and ...nothing.

This weekend I check the starter connection.  The stud
was revolving so I knew something was wrong.  I was able
to get the cover off and look at the connection on the
other side. It trying to tighten it the wires were
twisted almost off.  The little plastic insert which was
to hold the stud in place was broken.  I replaced the
insert with the one from the old starter and the old
brass stud.  I soddered the connection.  Everything was
tight.  Put it together.  Nothing.  Only a good click at
the solenoid.  I changed to a known good spare and the
same thing.  Checked the battery, good.  Multimeter - 12
volts in and out of the solenoid.  Checked the bolts to
the starter and they are tight.

Any ideas or should I call "Car Talk".