Re: [Re: Click....nothing....d**n]

To: "Vic Hughes" <v.hughes@austarmetro.com.au>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Click....nothing....d**n]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:52:42 -0400
On an old Singer I once owned, when the starter found the missing teeth, it
make an awful racket! The starter did indeed spin though.

I have not looked back at this thread, but I am assuming that the starter
solenoid was jumped manually (I have a pair of old pliers for the job!).  Even
brand new parts can sometimes be defective.

Jan

"Vic Hughes" <v.hughes@austarmetro.com.au> wrote:
Bill, Was it just a brush replacement or did they clean everything up and
replace the main spring?

Also, just remembered another reason starters sometimes malfunction -
missing teeth on the ring gear!  In this case the starter spins but is
unable to engage the ring gear.   This was a notable problem with Morris
Marinas which seemed to have very thin ring gears made of the most brittle
alloy known to man.  The starter gear would just knock them off after a
while.

Vic