Re: Bond Car Colors

To: <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bond Car Colors
From: "Jon A." <humbersnipe@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:47:50 -0500
The other consideration is the discretion of the director. If the color of
the car as supplied did not fit the director's mental image of the scene,
the car could very well have been painted to suit. This is usually painfully
obvious in modern films, when they don't bother to paint the door jambs the
new color!

Since the film is in color, a close examination of the film (perhaps on DVD,
where the action can be stopped with crystal clarity) might yield some
further evidence.

In a similar vein, old black-and-white moviemakers would choose a color
based on how it looked on camera. Hitchcock's favorite "blood" was purported
to be chocolate syrup - just the right texture, and in b&w, looked just
right on the screen. Someone once tried to colorize Casablanca, using the
original prop records to determine the colors actually used when the film
was made. It was a dismal failure. Somehow, the bar just didn't look right
with green walls and purple carpet!

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE USA